Name________________________________ Period _______ Date ___________
The Middle East
Web Site Assignment
Directions: Respond to the following items on a seperate piece of paper. Each item is worth one point unless otherwise indicated (71 points total):
Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia
- Syria covers ____________ square miles.
- In 1994, Syria had __________________ inhabitants.
- List seven languages that are spoken in Syria (7 points):
- Which of these languages is the official language of Syria?
- List four cities located in Syria (4 points):
Education & Human Services
- Formal primary education began in Saudi Arabia in the ________ (decade).
An Intro to Islam
Muslim Contributions to Science
- Name five of the 11 beliefs about Allah that are listed at this site (5 points) :
- Name three of the seven basic guidelines Muslims follow pertaining to their knowledge of their God (3 points) :
- Cleanliness, both physical and spiritual are important to Muslims. List the four physical items to be kept clean by Muslims (4 points):
- What is the Arabic word for purity? _________________
- In what way do Muslims maintain purity of thought?
- List the five ares in which Muslims made contributions to science (5 points) :
- What does the word Islam mean & how is this meaning carried out by a Muslim? (2 points)
- Explain what gaining knowledge, both religious and non-religious, means to a Muslim (2 points) :
List the definition of each of the following pillars of Islam:
- Briefly explain Muslim views towards & about Christians and Jews:
What greeting do Muslims exchange when meeting each other?
Explain the concepts of Muslim self-defense and Jihad:
- What are the two main domains of law? (2 points)
What does the term "Sunnah" mean in Islam?
- Do Muslims believe in religious tolerance? Why or why not?
- Were women placed in higher or lower esteem in most instances in ancient Islam than in the rest of the ancient world?
Write the Islamic word for each of the definitions listed below:
- The sacred text of Islam:
- A city in Saudi Arabia, birthplace of Muhammad, founder of Islam:
- An Islamic place of worship, literally "place of prostration" (in prayer):
- The cube-like shrine in the courtyard of the Sacred Mosque in mecca, toward which Muslims face in daily prayer:
- The Supreme Being (the God) of Islam:
- The religious faith of Muslim, literally, "submission" (to God):
- Greet Mr. Charon / Mr. McNiven before class or in the hall by saying hello in Arabic (5 points)
- Say good-bye to Mr. Charon in Arabic (5 points)
© 1998 Have a question about the assignment? E-mail Mr. Charon! or go to the top of this page.