Name________________________________ Period _______ Date ___________
The Middle East
Directions: Respond to the following items on a separate piece of paper. Each item is worth one point unless otherwise indicated (41 points total: 1/2 point per blank):
Web Site Assignment
Leaders of the Middle East
- At the time of his election, Sharon, a ________ _________, was the leader of the _________ Party.
- He joined ___________, an underground Jewish militia, at the age of ___.
- In 1953 he created _________ _____, a brigade that became known for carrying out operations across enemy lines, suppressing terrorism in the _______ ________ (which Israel captured in the Six-Day War of 1967), and leading the defeat of the Egyptian army in the Arab-Israeli War of 1973.
- In later governments, Sharon served as minister of ________ and industry and minister of _________...
- In _____ Likud leader _____________ _______________ was elected prime minister, and Sharon became minister of ______________, a post created specifically for him. In this role, Sharon continued to support settlement in the ______________ ____________.
- In 1998 Netanyahu appointed Sharon _____________ ________________.
- In September 2000 Sharon visited the Temple Mount, the holiest Islamic site in Jerusalem. His visit touched off violent clashes between Israelis and __________________.
- Soon, armed Palestinian police and rock-throwing youths clashed with Israeli soldiers and police throughout the West Bank and _____________ _____________. The renewed violence and the failure to achieve any agreements with the Palestinians hurt Barak's popularity in Israel.
- Barak __________________ on December 10, 2000, and called for a new election for _____________ _____________ in February 2001.
- Sharon ran against Barak and was elected with more than _________ ___________ of the vote.
- On Oct. 6, 1981, his predecessor, ______________ _______ ___________, was assassinated by Muslim fundamentalists as he reviewed a military parade in _____________. Vice President Mubarak, shot in the ____________ during the attack, inherited a country that was buckling under severe ____________ and ________________ strain.
- Mubarak lacked Sadat's ______________ and ______________. But as vice president he had played an active role in ____________________, and he was a skilled
_________________. Almost immediately, he resumed diplomatic relations with other Arab nations and vowed to follow ______________'s lead in keeping peace with
_______________. Likewise, he has worked hard to maintain Egypt's ties with both the _________________ ______________ and ________________.
- Hussein, Saddam (1937- ), authoritarian president of _________ since __________.
- Hussein studied law in _____________ while continuing party-affiliated activities. He returned to Baghdad in ___________, married, and rose to the post of assistant secretary general of the ____________ Party.
- Hussein took a leading role in addressing the country's major______________ problems.
- He also played a part in the nationalization of the ____________ _______________, Iraq's major source of wealth.
- Despite having led Iraq into two ____________ and, in so doing, squandering the country's ____________ ________________, Hussein succeeded in facing down all internal challenges to his rule.
- Hussein's small clique of friends and family was divided after the war,and in the following years Hussein _________________, _____________, and _____________ many among them who were thought to threaten his rule.
- In late 1998 the
United States passed a resolution to provide
________________ _____________________ to Iraqi dissident
groups seeking to ___________________ Hussein.
- Yasir Arafat, born in Jerusalem in ___________, is the President of Palestinian National Authority (PNA) , which controls the Palestinian territories in __________ and on the _____________ ____________ since January _____________, and Chairman of the Palestine Lebaration Organization ________________ since 1968.
- Named chairman of the PLO in _______________ to be the 3rd chairman after Ahmed Ash-Shuqiri and Yahya Hamoda. He is still the ________________ of the committee until the present time.
- 1956: Participated in the ____________ campaign, in the Egyptian ___________.
- 1957: Started ______ ___________. Al Fateh conducted several attacks into _______________.
- 1967: Al Fateh was linked to ______________.
- 1968: Elected chairman of______________. Worked on bringing PLO from Panarabism to _______________________ ________________________.
- 1974: Held a historical ________________ in front of the General Assembly in UN.
- 1982: PLO had to move from ___________________. after Israel invaded the country. Moved the headquarters to Tunisia.
- 1995: Arafat won the ________________ ________________.
- 1996: Jan. 20 Elected president of the Palestinian Authority in public elections, he got _________________ of the votes.
© 2002 Have a question about the assignment? E-mail Mr. Charon or go to the top of this page.