JHS SOCIAL STUDIES DEPT.
© 1998 Dan May-Dept. Chair
Social Studies is the study of human relationships-past, present, and future.
Subject matter for the social studies curriculum is drawn from:
The Social Science Disciplines
- Political Science
- The Arts
PRIMARY DEPARTMENT GOALS
- to prepare students to think critically and creatively
- to work cooperatively in order to achieve a common goal
- to become active citizens of local, national and global communities
- to develop an appreciation for their national heritage
- to function productively in a multi-cultural, technological & information-oriented interdependent world
- to provide curriculum which includes:
- a variety of cognitive and affective experiences that contribute to the dignity of each person through an open examination of controversial issues and diverse cultures
- the premise that a democratic society depends upon citizens that make rational decisions consistent with basic democratic values