Notes: The French Revolution & the Scarlet Pimpernel
Read Ch.17, sec.2 & Ch.19, sec.1,2,&3 for background info about all of the following:
- Henri IV (4TH): Edict of Nantes: Gives freedom of religion to protestants
- Louis XIII (13TH): mentor, Cardinal Richelieu controls France
- Louis XIV (14TH): Controls Nobles by making foolish servants of them, Revokes the Edict of Nantes and destroys France's economy
- Louis XV (15TH)
- Louis XVI (16TH): Weak and spineless ruler
Marie Antoinette-his wife: She is forced to run the country
The National Assembly
- The 1st Estate: The Clergy
- The 2nd Estate: The Nobles
- The 3rd Estate: Everyone else!
The Tennis Court Oath: The 3rd Estate lock themselves inside a tennis court and vow to remain there until they have written a Constitution for France!
The Storming of the Bastille on Tues. July 14, 1789: The French National Holiday which celebrates the beginning of French Democracy.
-Everyone called 'citizen'
King Louis 16th beheaded
- January 1793
2nd Phase of the Revolution
Called the Radical Phase or
the "Reign of Terror"
-July 1793-July 1794
-men, women, & children
Queen Marie Antoinette
-beheaded Oct. 1793
Leader of the Committee of Public Safety
-Wants to end Christianity in France
-Begins new calendar based on the revolution
rather than on the birth date of Jesus
-Later, begins a new religion
-Condemns others to the Guillotine
≥The Scarlet Pimpernel≤
-Takes place during the 2nd Phase
- Percy Blakney-The Scarlet Pimpernel
- Marguerite St. Juste-Actress, wife of Percy
- Armand St. Juste-Brother of Marguerite
- Louise Longee-Actress, fiancee of Armand
- Sir Andrew & Tony-friends and co-conspirators with Percy
- Paul Chauvelin-Enemy of the Scarlet Pimpernel
- Robespierre-Leader of the Revolution
- Baron de Batz-Loyal only to himself
- The Dauphin-heir to the French throne
C'est Tout! (That's all)
Go to the hints for the test!